Should’ve known my 1 post per day pledge would expire about the time Spring “sprang” around here. The toddler wanted to toddle outside with the nice weather, and there was always something that needed cutting, trimming, pruning, weeding, etc.
Without further ado, here’s a free-form burp-puke of some of my thoughts of the last month, in no particular order.
1. In a couple of months–or even in a couple of days, Obama and Clinton partisans will wonder why they acted so silly and/or crazy of the last months of the primary campaign and wonder just what the hell they were thinking when they breathlessly exclaimed they’d vote for McCain if their guy/gal didn’t win. Let the healing begin my brothers and sisters!
2. I still think Barack Obama is right in echoing JFK/Arthur Schlesinger Jr.’s diplomatic mantra of “Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.” Despite right wing bloviating, keeping ALL options on the table, and exhausting all diplomatic solutions before resolving to drop bombs and/or put “boots on the ground” really is just common sense and the best policy. The Kennedy/Khrushchev summit in Vienna led to the Berlin Wall and the Cuban missile crisis, but tough rhetoric and action after Vienna–and keeping diplomatic channels open throughout–won Kennedy respect and a position of strength at the bargaining table with the soviets–at least in my humble opinion.
3. If somehow the RNC, Karl Rove dirty trick machine, and Swiftboat Vets for McCain 2008 edition “win” the election for McCain, the missus is with me that we’ll repatriating in the great white north and learning to enjoy hockey. Next goal, convince her to just flat-out move to Canada now and start and hemp farm.
4. I’m constantly under a barrage of straw-men arguments, republican talking points and often just plain crazy talk at work and at the dinner table (my mother and brother-in-law are born-again Christians and self-titled “social conservatives”). Daily Kos had a diary a while back about getting out in the right wing blogosphere and “water cooler” dittohead indoctrination centers to confront the half-truths, distortions and lies they peddle as gospel. Well, brothers and sisters, I’ve been out there for some time now, with all the facts and logic my little brain and hold and produce on-demand, and IT AIN’T EASY!
Just this week I had to face down a born-again at work who was peddling the scurrilous allegation that Barack Obama snorted coke* and got a BJ from some dude in a Limo in the 90’s. Mr. Born Again didn’t know names, dates, specifics, or of any conclusive evidence of the escapade, but he was more than happy to “air the dirty laundry” anyway. He got real mad real quick when I said that Jesus Christ put himself between a prostitute and a mob of stone-wielding people with murderous intent. JC said “let he without sin cast the first stone”. The so-called Christian at work said “I heard from a guy who heard from a guy who got an email from some guy who heard that Barack Obama did some coke* and got some gay oral–snicker snicker snicker”. Man, I love Jesus, but sometimes his “followers” drive me bonkers.
5. Everytime some moron tells me we can’t pull out of Iraq because “Iraq is the central front in the War on Terror” I’m going to shout back at them “No, you moron, Afghanistan is the central front on the War on Terror! Somewhere in Waziristan, just over the Afghan border with Pakistan, is Al Qaeda and the Taliban’s new Pakistani-approved safe haven–and just possibly evil-incarnate himself: Osama bin Laden!”
6. Nuclear v. Sustainable Alternative Energy debate with Artur ongoing. Artur is one stubborn Armenian. Unmoved by the fact that nuclear waste is a target for terrorists and remains deadly to lifeforms for half-a-million years! Also, where do you store the shit? Also, if nuke power is so awesome, why the need for Price/Anderson act (means U.S. taxpayers pick up the tab for any accidents, nuke plant owner has zero liability) and MASSIVE subsidies? (if passed, Lieberman/Warner act might have up to $400 billion in nuclear power give-aways) Why not peel off some subsidies for wake/tidal, geothermal, solar, wind, biomass, hydrogen. Check out beyond nuclear (dot) org for more info.
7. Termites guts may hold the secret to cheap, clean hydrogen fuel.
That’s all we have time for.
*Obama freely admitted to briefly experimenting with pot and coke in college in one of his books, probably Dreams from My Father.